Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Redefining Fieldtrips with Locative Media

I have read about location based services and technologies before, but Leslie's presentation on locative media really opened my eyes to many opportunities of these emerging technologies for education. Of course, most learning is happening in the classroom, but who doesn't like field trips! I have to admit that on these trips I always enjoyed being a part of the group, but I could see how in the near future we could be seeing students listening to their personal iPhones, instead of a teacher or a guide. However, even traditional field trips could be so much more productive and memorable, if students are researching and producing content that is available right there, on location. This instructional media would be especially useful, when personal opinion of the content creator adds value, as in my example with campus tours, where it is important to hear it from the current student, not just from the admissions office or from the marketing brochure. My son's school is located in the Presidio, it is now a National park with great historical significance. I immediately thought how students of the school could research the history of their school surroundings and create virtual guided tours of the area. Turns out their technology teachers already met with Leslie and taking this forward.

Leslie’s site is www.locative-media.org

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your post makes more sense to me than the examples that were made during the presentation. That's because for me, in my view of the tour, it would involve face to face interaction as well as interactive through digital media. Collaboration during creation of content is one of the 21st Century skills that certainly needs to be incorporated into locative media.

On a side note, I was surprised by how much Leslie has shifted her focus from Digital Story Telling towards locative media and wonder what she will be passionate about in technology five to ten years down the line. She brims with excitement about this new component of our digital lives.

Come and See Africa said...

I am glad to hear that Leslie is working with your son's school. We lived in Presideo(Marin side) for 4 years. For a visitor, history of the post is not visible, only what they see is the present beauty.

Amy Lilley said...

Yana- Thanks for this great example. I am really still having trouble finding concrete examples to apply using current technologies, but I think field trips are a very good example of how we could combine technology with locative learning to create individual experiences. The Presido school you mention is a great opportunity for the kids to creeate the content themselves.